True Harry Potter fans understand the meaning behind giving their furry friends Harry Potter dog names. Unlike most common dog names, our unique selection will ring music to your ears. Each option will remind you of all your favorite magical moments from the book or movie. Let’s get started!
Most Popular 61 Harry Potter Dog Names
Luna Lovegood is one of the most exciting and loyal characters in the Harry Potter series. Naming your dog after her will make them popular among other fans, and here is our list of popular names to suit your pup.
- Luna – Luna Lovegood, one of Harry’s most peculiar friends
- Harry – Harry Potter, the main character of the series & student at Hogwarts
- Dobby – This is a male house-elf who served the Malfoy family
- Percy – Percy Weasley, who attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and was both a prefect and Head Boy.
- Dudley – Harry’s obese cousin
- Ginny – Ron’s sister, eventually married Harry Potter
- Draco – Draco Malfoy, Slytherin House, quickly developed a rivalry with Harry Potter.
- Sirius – Harry’s godfather who can turn into a dog
- Albus – Albus Dumbledore, he is also Hogwarts Headmaster
- Tonks – Andromeda Tonks, She and her husband were allies of the Order of the Phoenix
- Remus – Remus John Lupin, professor of Harry Potter, a werewolf.
- Neville – Neville Longbottom, Hogwarts student, member of Dumbledore’s Army
- Bellatrix – Bellatrix Lestrange, anatically death eater loyal to Lord Voldemort
- Hermione – Hermione Granger, Harry and Ron’s best friend
- Nimbus – Manufacturer of Harry’s broomstick
- Potter – Variation for Harry
- Winky – Was a freed female house-elf
- Gryffindor – One of the houses at Hogwarts. The emblematic animal is a lion
- Hufflepug – One of the four Houses of Hogwarts, The emblematic animal was a badger
- Myrtle – Moaning Myrtle, haunted a girl’s bathroom
- Narcissa – Narcissa Malfoy, Draco’s mother
- Crookshanks – Hermione Granger’s pet cat.
- Pansy Parkinson – A witch in Harry Potter’s year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
- Bartemius – Bartemius Couch Jr, an ardent follower of Lord Voldemort in order to become a Death Eater and Dark Wizard in his teenage years.
- Hagrid – Gamekeeper at Hogwarts, Harry’s trusted friend
- Lily – Lily Potter, Harry’s deceased mother.
- Gornuk – Goblic, formerly of Gringotts.
- Granian – A breed of Winged horse . They were grey in colour and were very fast.
- Graphorn – The Graphorn was a dangerous and aggressive magical beast native to the mountains of Europe.
- Fenrir – Fenrir Greyback, a savage werewolf and enemy of Harry Potter.
- Grindylow – A Grindylow was a small, horned, pale-green skinned water demon native to Great Britain and Ireland.
- Griphook – A goblin who worked at Gringotts Wizarding Bank in Diagon Alley.
- Hebridean – A dragon species native to the Hebrides Islands of Scotland. It had brilliant purple coloured eyes.
- Hedwig – Harry Potter’s owl
- Hermes – A screech owl belonging to Percy Weasley.
- Hinkypunk – A diminutive, one-legged magical creature with the appearance of wispy blue, grey or white smoke.
- Hippogriff – A magical beast that had the front legs, wings, and head of a giant eagle and the body, hind legs and tail of a horse.
- Padfoot – Sirius’ marauder name.
- Ironbelly – A species of dragon native to Ukraine . It was said to be the largest dragon species in the world.
- Kappa – A Japanese water demon that fed on human blood.
- Godric – Founder of Hogwarts.
- Fawkes – Dumbledore’s phoenix.
- Minerva – Minerva McGonagall.
- Norbert – Hagrid’s pet dragon.
- Fang – Hagrid’s boarhound.
- Cornelius (Fudge) – Cornelius Fudge, Minister for Magic
- Newt – Newt Scamader, an English wizard, famed Magizoologist and the author of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.
- Riddle – Tom Riddle, he was known as He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named (Lord Voldemort).
- Quidditch – A wizarding sport played on broomsticks.
- Diggory – Cedric Diggory, a Hufflepuff student who was killed by Voldemort.
- Weasley – Surname of Harry’s favorite wizard family.
- Fluffy – Hagrid’s three-headed dog.
- Azkaban – A fortress on an island in the middle of the North Sea, It serves the magical community of Great Britain as a prison for convicted criminals.
- Gideon – A member of the original Order of the Phoenix.
- Tiberius – A wizard and the uncle of Cormac McLaggen.
- Voldemort – Lord Voldemort, who tried and failed to kill Harry Potter.
- Severus Snape – Professor of Hogwarts
- Lucius – Lucius Malfoy, Draco’s father.
- James Potter – Harry Potter’s father.
- Filch – Caretaker of Hogwarts.
- Pixie – It is small magical troublemaker.
Pun Dog Names
Have you been searching for cool pet names to no avail? How about these hilarious names from the Harry Potter book series? You can find unique alternatives to match any dog breed you have.
- Hairy Pawter
- Pansy Parkinson
- Oliver Woof
- Vernon Dursley
- Golden Snitch
- Severus Snacks
- Percy Leashley
Female Harry Potter Dog Names
After adopting your puppies, consider giving them dog names inspired by the best female characters from the franchise. Each themed name from this list will make you want to re-read your novels again!
Male Harry Potter Dog Names
Still don’t know how to call your fuzzy boy? Our list of unique male Harry Potter characters will inspire your final choice. Pick a dog name that will be fun and memorable.
RELATED: Top 400+ Boy Dog Names
Harry Potter Dog Names Based on Creatures
Thinking about naming your young pooch after Harry Potter creatures? Forget about death eaters. How about these unique options below? All fans of the series will recognize any of these names in a second!
How to Choose the Best Harry Potter Name for Your Dog
Are you a true Harry Potter fan? Match your dog’s breed with a name that reflects their great personality. You can find some inspiration at any Hogwarts house – Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, or Slytherin. If you’re looking for a female name that sounds unique, consider using Fleur. Once you decide how to call your fur baby, you can begin dog training!
You can’t deny your tiny pooch has cast a spell on you. Luckily, the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry accepts all sorts of magical doggos. The names in our list will let everyone know your pup’s not muggle!
Other Dog Names Ideas
If you still want more dog-naming inspiration lists, you should consider watching cartoons, historical documentaries, and TV too. In case you just can’t make up your mind, ask your loved ones for help. Or you may want to read some related posts for your best decision: