Whether your pup is a traditional Russian breed or not, Russian dog names are a beautiful choice. Some owners might prefer Italian dog names for their Siberian Husky or Black Russian Terrier.
But your Borzoi or Samoyed have long histories as Russian dog breeds, and that heritage deserves to be honored. Russia has a long history and influential culture. Our list of top dog names takes from food, geography, popular culture, and more.
From brand-new puppies to distinguished rescue pooches, this guide to cool Russian names meets all your needs. So take a look, do a little research, and pick the best Slavic doggo name for your furbaby. You and your perfectly-named pup will thank us!
Many of these names aren’t heard very often at the dog park, while others show up on the list of top 100 dog names.
Russian Names for Female Dogs
Celebrate your sweet little girl dog with a beautiful Russian name. All of these cool Russian dog names for female pups are elegant, and many have Russian pet names or diminutives. You can’t go wrong with any of these choices!
- Adelaida – Noble kind
- Alexandra – Protector of man
- Alina – Beautiful
- Anastasia – Resurrection
- Anna – Favor
- Anya – Strength
- Alyona – Light
- Calina – Snowball tree
- Evgenia – Noble
- Galina – Serenity
- Katerina – Pure
- Kira – Ruler
- Lada – Goddess of beauty, love and marriage
- Darya – Kingly or the sea
- Elena – Shining light
- Irina – Peace
- Ksenia – Hospitable
- Margosha – Pearl
- Nadia – Hope
- Olga – Holy
- Sonia – Wisdom
- Lubov – Love
- Natalia – Christmas Day
- Karina – Pure
- Oksana – Praise God
- Masha – Star of the sea
- Marina – Marine, related with the sea
- Mila – Gracious or dear
- Polina – Little Stone
- Faina – Light
- Svetlana – Luminescent
- Yulia – Youthful
- Valeriya – Strong
- Ksana – Praise be to God
- Lapa – Darling
- Nina – Grace
- Vera – Faith
- Sveta – Saint
- Viktoriya – Viktoriya
- Panya – Crowned with laurels
- Natasha – Birthday of the Lord
- Nochka – Night
- Raiya – Heaven
- Tanya – Fairy Queen
- Tatiana – Fairy princess
Russian Names for Male Dogs
Your tough little boy pooch needs a dignified name to match his personality. Some of the best Russian names are the classic boys’ names on this list. So browse these names with meanings and have fun choosing a doggo name!
- Aleksandr – Defender of mankind
- Anatoly – Sunrise
- Andrei – Manly
- Artem – Healthy, sound, wholesome
- Aleksei – Defender
- Anton – Highly praiseworthy
- Boris – Fighter
- Dima – Strong fighter
- Daniil – God Is My Judge
- Dmitry – Follower of Demeter
- Yevgeny – Well-born, noble
- Feliks – Lucky
- Fyodor – Gift of god
- Grigory – Watchful
- Igor – Warrior
- Ivan – God is gracious
- Konstantin – Firm, constant
- Luka – Light
- Nikolai – Victorious or conqueror of the people
- Pyotr – Rock
- Oleg – Holy
- Grom – Thunder
- Vladimir – Of great power, ruler of the world
- Kirill – Master
- Ruslan – Lion
- Viktor – Conqueror
- Fedor – God’s gift
- Kubik – Little cube
- Maxim – The greatest
- Yaroslav – Bright fame, glory
- Mikhail – Who is like God
- Misha – Little bear
- Nikita – Victor
- Pavel – Small
- Rodion – Song of the hero
- Buka – Surly
- Semyon – Listening
- Yurik – Farmer
- Lizun – Smooch
- Gleb – Heir of god
- Zver – Beast
- Sharik – Little ball
- Sergei – Protector
- Valentin – Strong, healthy
- Zigfrids – Victory, peace
RELATED: Top 400+ Boy Dog Names
Russian Dog Names Inspired by Famous Russians
Russia has been the birthplace of scores of authors, musicians, politicians, and athletes. It is a perfect idea to name your pup after one of them. Choose your favorite Russian puppy name, or pick the activity you love the most!
- Gorbachev – former President of the Soviet Union. A scary Russian name for your alpha dog.
- Stalin – former leader of the Soviet Union. Just the name for a pupper with a dynamic personality.
- Vladimir – the first name of Lenin and current President Putin. A powerful name for a boy who’s a leader.
- Yuri Gagarin – pilot and cosmonaut who was the first human in space. The best name for your little adventurer!
- Sharapova – Maria Sharapova is a former professional tennis player. This one hits the spot if you have an over-active pup!
- Leo Tolstoy – Russian writer, most known for War and Peace. A good name for your intelligent dog!
- Pyotr Tchaikovsky – composer of Swan Lake, The Sleeping Beauty, and The Nutcracker. Just the name for a music-loving pooch.
- Rasputin – a legendary holy man and mystic. It’s a great manly Russian name for your brave fuzzy friend.
- Adelina Sotnikova – an Olympic champion figure skating champion. Perfect for a graceful girl pup.
The Russian language is a beautiful one. Lots of Russian words can become unique names for all puppers. Check out this list of some of our favorite cute Russian dog names. Haven’t you always wanted a dog named Hedgehog?
- Sobaka – Dog
- Bolshoi – Large
- Molodaya Zenchina – Translates to “young woman. ”
- Mechta – Dream
- Kukla – Doll
- Sputnik – Satellite
- Schenok – Puppy
- Yozhik – Hedgehog
Dog Names Based on Famous Russian Places
Russia is the largest country in the world and has lots of interesting geographies. From the capital city to deep lakes and resorts, there is sure to be a name for your Russian doggo.
- Sochi – a summer beach resort city on the Black Sea. Just the name for a pup with a sunny personality.
- Elbrus – the highest mountain peak in Russia. Perfect for a mountain of a dog like a Mastiff or Great Dane.
- Kremlin – loosely, the government of Russia. Great for a dog who protects his home.
- Moscow – the capital city of Russia. A grand name for a pooch with a huge personality.
- Baikal – an ancient lake that is the world’s clearest and deepest. The ideal name for a dog who loves the water.
- Petersburg – a Baltic port city and Russia’s cultural center. A name for a cultured puppy.
- Siberia – geographic area of northern Russia known for long, hard winters. Give this name to your winter-loving pup!
- Vladivostok – a Pacific port city close to China and North Korea. Great for your little adventurer.
- Irkutsk – one of the largest cities in Siberia. A great option for a beautiful Russian boy Siberian Husky or Samoyed.
- Kazan – the capital of Tatarstan. An exotic choice for a lesser-known breed.
- Moskva – a river in western Russia. The best name for a Russian dog girl!
- Altay – a mountain range joining Russia, China, Mongolia, and Kazakhstan. Another good name for a mixed breed pup.
Russian Dog Names Based on Food
Delicious food is a Russian hallmark! The cuisine may not be what you’re used to, but different is good. And some of these fabulous dishes will make perfect names for your pampered pup!
- Borscht – a red beet soup. A good choice for a red-coated dog like the Laika.
- Shchi – easy-to-prepare, versatile cabbage soup. A perfect name for a mixed-breed pup.
- Solyanka – a sour soup made with pickled cucumbers and brine. A fun name for a stand-offish doggo.
- Blini – small wheat-flour pancakes eaten with sweet or savory toppings. A great idea for a little dog.
- Ikra – also known as “poor man’s caviar,” ikra is a simple eggplant dip. Perhaps a name for a rescue dog?
- Vodka – clear, distilled alcohol. This is a strong Russian dog name for a female Pit Bull.
- Pashka – fruit and egg custard with cream cheese. A sweet name for your sweet little German Shepherd!
- Shashlyk – cubes of skewered grilled meat. A funny choice for a tiny dog with a big personality!
RELATED: 78+ Cutest Food Names For Dogs
Finding ideas for pet names can be overwhelming. Our Russian dog names list will help you find the perfect one. You can’t go wrong with popular Russian dog names!
Other Dog Names Ideas
If you still want more dog-naming inspiration lists, you should consider watching cartoons, historical documentaries, and TV too. In case you just can’t make up your mind, ask your loved ones for help. Or you may want to read some related posts for your best decision: