Dog owners can adopt Swedish dog names for their furry friends whether they are of Swedish heritage or not. This is an exciting way to learn something new about foreign cultures. In this article, you’ll find a list of popular and less common names for your male and female pets. You won’t go wrong with any of them!
Cute Swedish Names for Your Pup
If you’re looking for Swedish dog names and meanings, you’ll love the names we gathered below! They are ideal for dog lovers who enjoy foreign movies with their families.
- Bebis – If you see your Scandinavian dogs as your babies, then Bebis is ideal for your little ones!
- Pumpa – Pumpa means “pumpkin” and is a great name for dog owners with cute furry golden brown puppies
- Käraste – Käraste, meaning “dearest,” is an ideal name for a calm and sweet puppy. Everyone will love it!
- Jycke – If you are looking for the Swedish word for “pooch,” Jycke is an excellent choice.
- Hund – Hund is another cool name for dogs in Swedish. It is pretty easy to remember.
- Katt – Katt, which is Swedish for “cat,” is a funny name for pups who enjoy playing with kittens.
- Valp – Valp is a cute and sweet Swedish translation for a male or female young puppy.
Male Swedish Dog Names
Did you recently adopt a male pup? The next step is to find a sweet name that matches your furry friend’s personality. Below is a list of funny boy names for Swedish and non-Swedish dogs.
RELATED: Top 400+ Boy Dog Names
Female Swedish Dog Names
When looking for a female dog name, it’s important to find one that suits your little friend. It’s best to avoid using common themes and instead go for exciting ones, as shown below.
Swedish Dog Names Inspired by Locations
It’s crucial to find the right inspiration to name your pets, especially if you got them from another country. So here are great Swedish pet names to remind you of popular Swedish towns.
- Gothenburg – Is your puppy bigger than the siblings? Why don’t you name them after the second-largest Swedish city – Gothenburg?
- Fjord – If your four-legged friends were born near the sea or large water bodies, Fjord is a suitable name for them!
- Vasa – Vasa is a cute Swedish name for dog lovers who enjoy visiting museums and other historical sites.
- Stockholm – Stockholm is a perfect name for a large male or female dog breed, e.g., Labrador retrievers and German shepherds.
- Malmö – Malmö is an ideal Swedish dog name for male and female pups born in a seaside town.
- IKEA – If you are looking for funny Swedish names for your pets, IKEA is a sure win!
- Boden – Boden is one of the unique names you will find on the Swedish town name generator.
Swedish Dog Names Based on Food
Most dog lovers like to name their pets after things they enjoy and love, i.e., food, films, famous cities, etc. Below are nine Scandinavian dishes you can use.
RELATED: 78+ Cutest Food Names For Dogs
Most Common Swedish Dog Names
If you’re relocating or traveling to Northern Europe, you should consider these Nordic female dog names for your girl pets. Below is a list of popular Swedish names to help you out!
- Svens – Svens, which means “young”, is a cool Swedish dog name for male Labrador puppies.
- Blix – Is your adopted dog always happy? Then, Blix, Swedish for “joy,” is ideal.
- Baltasar – Baltasar, which means “protected by God,” is a unique name for spiritual dog owners.
- Astra – Another name for spiritual dog lovers is Astra, which means “divine beauty.”
- Bjorn – Bjorn, the Swedish translation for “bear,” is a common name for big, cuddly dogs.
- Gunner – Gunner, which means “battle strong,” is the perfect Swedish male dog name for playful pups.
- Roffe – If your Scandinavian dog looks like a wolf, Roffe is the ideal name for him!
- Birger – Birger, which means helper, is a cute Nordic name for a sweet and helpful dog.
- Atalie – You should consider calling your adopted white dog Atalie because it means “pure.”
- Frans – Frans, which means “free,” is an appropriate name for Vallhunds who enjoy running freely.
Naming your unique dog breeds using Scandinavian names is a creative way of respecting their heritage. Now that you know the Swedish word for dog, you can decide what Swedish names for dogs you like best. Soon enough, even your friends and family will learn how to say dog in Swedish.
Other Dog Names Ideas
If you still want more dog-naming inspiration lists, you should consider watching cartoons, historical documentaries, and TV too. In case you just can’t make up your mind, ask your loved ones for help. Or you may want to read some related posts for your best decision: